- What do you need for this adventure?
- When and where will you share this adventure?
- What activity will you do spread the “germs”?
- Find out how germs are spread by playing germ tag, or by experimenting with germ gel or lemon water.
- When you are done your activity, use a special light to see how the “germs” have spread!
- Then try to wash up and see if you’ve done a good job.
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- What unexpected places did the “germs” get to?
- How can you avoid sharing your germs with others and picking up germs from people around you?
Keep it Simple
- Play germ tag! Start with one youth who is it and holds their arms out wide and wiggles them like a germ. Once you’re tagged, you become a wiggling germ too! Play until everyone has been infected and see just how fast germs can spread. Then, use the lemon-water experiment to see firsthand how careful we have to be when we’re sick.
Take it Further
- Spread germ gel on different surfaces and try to clean them. What surfaces are the easiest to disinfect? What surfaces are the hardest to disinfect? Now, think about this in terms of food safety and germs spread by improper cleaning when handling food. How can you minimize the risk of foodborne illnesses?