- When will you play this game?
- Where will you play this game?
- Who will bring the disc?
- How will you make teams?
- What rules will you play with?
- This game is played on a rectangular field with few stoppages.
- After a toss of the disc, the team that wins the toss will decide if it wants to pull (like a kick-off in football) or receive.
- The teams line up at their goal lines, and one team throws the disc to the other.
- The team with the disc then tries to make passes between its players.
- The player holding the disc has to stand in place, and the player defending that person counts “stalls” aloud (like counting steamboats).
- A pass must be attempted before 10 stalls are counted.
- To score a point, a team must make a successful pass into an end zone.
- The defending team must try to prevent this by intercepting a pass, catching the disc or knocking it to the ground.
- You can play either for a set amount of time or play to a predetermined winning score—for example, the first team to score 10 points wins.
- There are many variations to this game, and you can even make up your own to make the game even more fun!
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- What did you most enjoy about this game?
- What strategy did your team use?
- If you were to play this game again, what would you do differently?
Keep it Simple
- There are lots of different rules to remember when playing ultimate! Try starting with a few of the rules, and adding the rest in as you get comfortable.
- Before playing, practise throwing the disc in different ways to find the best way to throw!
- If you’re having trouble making passes, you can try playing on a smaller field.
Take it Further
- Have you ever heard of disc golf? Find out if there’s a course near you and try playing! If there isn’t a course nearby, learn how you can set up a temporary one to play a round of golf!