- What materials do you need to collect?
- What safety equipment do you need?
- What safety rules do you need to establish?
- Pour the lemon juice or vinegar into the bottle.
- Using a funnel, put baking soda in the balloon.
- Place the balloon over the neck of the bottle and swirl the bottle to mix evenly. When the baking soda and lemon juice or vinegar mix, the balloon will inflate, because the reaction between the lemon juice and the baking soda produces carbon dioxide.
- What did you learn?
- Did your balloon explode?
- How big did they get?
- Remember to add your activity to the Take Action Map.
- Lemon Juice or Vinegar
- Empty plastic bottle (500ml/ 1L)
- Baking soda
- Stretched out balloon
- Safety glasses