- What do you need to complete this activity?
- How many job titles should you create?
- How much time do you need for this activity?
- Where can you look for ideas for job titles?
- Create a list of job titles that are gender specific (ex. Fireman, mailman, policeman, etc.)
- Have the group act out some of the jobs that you have written down like charades. When they have guessed, discuss the job titles and how they gendered the roles.
- As a group or in smaller groups, create new job titles for each position that are gender inclusive (ex. Fireman= fire fighter).
- Share your new job titles with the group.
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- What was your favourite part of this activity?
- What jobs would you add next time?
Remember to submit your activities on our Scouts for Sustainability Take Action Map
Keep it Simple
Dress up in different job roles and take turns in play acting. When you dressed up, was your job a man or a woman’s job? Do you need to be a man or a woman for this job? Do you think that it makes a difference?
Take it Further
Draw a picture of the different jobs from the list you created (fire fighter, mail carrier, etc.) and see what each member draws. Did you draw men or women doing these jobs? Why? Are there certain jobs that are only for men or only for women?