- What supplies will you need for this activity?
- How will you display the instructions and the programs?
- Where will you do this activity?
- Have everyone work in pairs.
- Give each pair two different colours of sticky notes.
- Practice coding together as a group using program 1 (see materials list). Choose which colour you will start with.
- When everyone has completed program one, give each pair a program sheet and a solution sheet.
- Start with one person per pair trying to code off of the program sheet. The second partner should check the solution to see if it’s correct – if it’s not, work together to “debug” the program, or correct the mistake.
- Switch roles.
- Was it easy to follow the program?
- What did you learn about coding with pixels?
- Were your patterns close? Or did you need help debugging your program?
Remember to submit your activities on our Scouts for Sustainability Take Action Map
Keep it Simple
Work as a big group to give instructions and have everyone follow the program in small groups or pairs – working together will help you to follow the pattern more easily.
Take it Further
Practice following a few programs to get the hang of how they work. Then, write your own code for your partner to follow. Were you able to write a code that your partner could understand?