- What materials do you need for this activity?
- How long do you need to complete this activity?
- Where will you complete this activity?
- Create a self-portrait using paper and art materials.
- Have a discussion about what makes you unique. What things make you special?
- On the front of your paper draw your self-portrait and write some words about how you think people see you (ex. Boys might write messy, loud, etc. and girls might write girly, weak, loves pink)
- On the back of your paper, write some words you think about yourself (ex. Loves cats, likes the colour purple, likes to play hockey, etc.)
- Hang up yourself portraits and have a discussion about the things that people see on the outside, and all the other things on the inside that they don’t see.
- Talk about how some people judge us based on stereotypes and that it can be hurtful.
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- How did you feel sharing the qualities about yourself?
- What would you change next time?
Paper and drawing materials
Keep it Simple
Draw a self-portrait, display them so you can see everyone and all their uniqueness!
Take it Further
Write a list of some qualities that you would like to have. How will you achieve these goals?