- What will you need for this game?
- Who will play the music? What songs will you play?
- How will everybody have a seat when there are not enough mats?
- Place floor mats or sheets of newspaper in a circle—but make sure that you are one short!
- If somebody can’t run around to take part in this game, that’s okay. That person can play music while everyone else walks around the mats, just like musical chairs.
- When the music stops, everyone playing must race to claim a mat.
- The person without a mat is out, and a mat is taken away for the next round.
- After a few rounds, the people who were out can join in again—only now nobody will be out when the music stops! Everyone still needs to find a seat on the mats, though! How will you do this? And what will you do when more mats are taken away, round after round? Be creative!
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- What did you like best about this game?
- How did you help others to have a seat? How did it make you feel?
- How did everybody stay safe playing this game?
- For those who were out early in the game, how did that feel? How did it feel to be back in the game after being out?
- How can you include everyone in other things you do?
Keep it Simple
Before people re-join the game, agree on how you will include them and make sure that everyone has a mat.
Take it Further
Try to get down to one mat! Can you get everyone on to a single mat?