- What will your route be for your marathon?
- How much time do you expect your marathon to take? Will you make this an overnight adventure?
- What will you need to pack? What equipment do you need?
- How will you accomplish this marathon? Will you run? Hike? Bike? Canoe? Dogsled? Snowshoe?
- How will you prepare for this marathon?
- How will you celebrate at the finish line?
- Use a map to see how far 42km really is. What is 42km away from your meeting place?
- If you were to cover 42km as a team or Section, how would you like to do it?
- Plan a trip (or multiple trips!) to cover 42km by the method you have chosen.
- Break it up into a series of day trips or a few overnight trips if 42km is too much to do all at once!
- Keep track of your distance over time and celebrate when you hit 42km!
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- How did it feel to complete your marathon?
- What do you think it would feel like to run a full marathon?
- What did you find most challenging about this adventure?
- What kind of training and preparation would you do if you ran in a full marathon?
Remember to submit your activities on our Scouts for Sustainability Take Action Map
Keep it Simple
- 42km might be a long distance on foot or by canoe, but it’s not too far by bike! Plan a bike adventure that will take you the distance of a marathon. Did 42km feel longer or shorter than you expected?
Take it Further
- While 42km might seem like a long way to hike or paddle, it’s not too long when broken up over a few days. Plan a hiking or paddling trip that will take you approximately 42km. How does it feel to do 42km of hiking or paddling?