- What materials do you need for this activity?
- What are safety landmarks and people in your community?
- What do you need in an emergency to stay safe?
- Safety first! Using a permanent marker and a plastic tablecloth, draw your community with important landmarks like fire stations, police stations and hospitals.
- Test out safety scenarios using vehicles and workers.
- Identify each type of safety helper as you place them in the community.
- In what situations would you need help from different safety workers?
- Try building your own ideal safety community using all of your knowledge!
- What did you discover about safety in the community that you did not know before?
- What was your favourite part of this activity?
- What would you do differently next time?
Keep it Simple
- Use costumes and props of various safety workers, and in Lodges, Lairs or Patrols, identify the right people needed for various safety situations. Role-play the situations to get the emergencies under control and keep the community safe! Bring in a community member to help explain their safety role.
Take it Further
- Do a community safety scan as a Section. Look at lighting, signage and cycling safety in a neighbourhood. Take notes on possible changes to make your community safer and reach out to your city with your suggestions!