- How is energy typically used in your community? How much of this is necessary? How much of this is unnecessary?
- Learn about Earth Hour. What other small actions can be done to reduce electricity usage?
- Research energy usage in your community. How can you share what you’ve learned with others in your community?
- How could you reduce the electricity that you use?
- Create and organize an initiative/event with the goal of reducing electricity usage. Try to come up with a unique but simple initiative, just like Earth Hour.
- You may need to advertise the event to those in the community, work with other organizations who can support you, or even fundraise to cover costs of your event.
- Use social media to inform other about your initiative/event and utilize it to track the effect of your initiative.
- What positive effects did your initiative have?
- How could you continue or improve this initiative?
- What knowledge was gained by those in your community?
- How much electricity do you believe was saved as a result of your initiative?
Keep it Simple
- Instead of planning an entire initiative, focus on what you can do in your own home.
Take it Further
- Bring your camping experience into your home. Try living for a day without electricity. What was the most challenging part of living without electricity?